Friday, August 12, 2011

Linda's Greek Rosemary Chicken

Today, we made Greek Rosemary Chicken.

This is Linda's recipe and Lisa and I made it one day in our huge crock pot but we were gone too long and let it dry out.  Today, I tried it in the oven and baked it on low all day.  We ate at 7:30 this evening and the aroma was wonderful.  Everyone who walked into the house commented on how good whatever we were cooking smelled.
When we gathered around our table for the evening meal.  I asked each person what was the best part of their day.  Everyone answered and then asked me.  I said it was when I tasted this chicken and it was delicious!  The family rejected that as the best part of my day because it was about food so the best part of my day was actually, when all the little ones woke up and came into the "leaving" room with their blankets, and stuffed animals, all happy to be up for a new day.

So here is Linda's Greek Rosemary Chicken.  Linda, jump in here and add your two cents worth.  The recipe was not written down and I probably have varied whatever she said but I think this has a lot of wiggle room if you vary it some.  I think I want to try this for our Sunday eat-at-home meals!

Place in small crock pot or baking dish:
  • 4 large chicken breast or thighs
 In a measuring cup mix:
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil 
  • 1/2 cup of lemon juice
 Pour over chicken, then sprinkle the seasonings over chicken:
  • Generous layer of dried rosemary  (maybe, about 2 Tablespoons)
  • Cavendar's All Purpose Greek seasoning.  (up to about 2 Tablespoons)
Crock Pot Version:Start the night before you serve it using the low setting.  If it begins to dry out add a little water to keep it moist.)
Oven version: Cover well with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for an hour then turn oven down to 250 degrees and bake for another 6 or 7 hours.  Toward the end add a little water to keep the juices from drying out. 

The juices were so good.  I put some of the juices over rice.
Serve with Rosemary Flat bread, Rice and a Salad.

Linda's note: You can use an oven cooking bag and cook at 250 or 300 for about 4 to 6 hours and get the same results. I would also say about the Greek seasoning - use at LEAST 2 tablespoons or more. I always add a little flour to the juices after I remove the chicken to very slightly thicken them. Doug likes this served with the soft Greek flatbread (not pita) along with lettuce and Feta cheese  (taco style).

No comments:

Post a Comment