Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Black Bean Cakes

Doug and I ate in a great little restaurant in the Hill Country a couple of months ago. On the menu that day was a "Black Bean Cake". Now, I am not nearly as adventurous as Doug, but I gave it a try and LOVED it! It came with pico de gallo on top and was drizzled with sour cream. I came home and found a similar recipe and we now have bean cakes about once a week! Since I was making them for dinner tonight, I decided to photograph one and give you the recipe. I didn't have pico de gallo or sour cream, but it was delicious with chopped cherry tomatoes (the really sweet kind) and minced onion. Doug ate his plain. Give it a try! I serve it as a side to the main dish, but sometimes I have one by itself for lunch.
Click on Read more to get recipe.

Black Bean Cakes

1 can Bushes Black Beans (I have tried Ranch Style Black Beans and they did not work as well. They had a different consistency.)
Drain and lightly rinse the black beans, pour into a bowl, and mash with a potato masher until no whole beans are left. Set aside.

In a small skillet over medium heat, heat a couple of tablespoons olive oil and add about 2 tablespoons minced fresh onion and 1 teaspoon minced garlic (you can substitute garlic salt for the salt below if you are in a pinch). Cook until onions are lightly caramelized. Add the onions and remaining oil to the mashed beans..
Also add to the beans:
      1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
Mix the spices into the beans until well combined. Make 4 small "patties" with the bean "paste" (each about 1/4 to 1/3 cup). Flatten slightly like you would a hamburger patty.
Dredge each bean cake in the following, which you have blended together:
      1/4 cup flour
      1 tablespooon Emeril's Original Essence or Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning (I can't get the creole version here, so I use original)


Heat about 4 more tablespoons olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. When hot, place the bean cakes in the skillet. Cook each side until browned and heated through, about 2 minutes per side.




No comments:

Post a Comment