Friday, October 21, 2011

Nostagic Candy: Long Boy Candy Bar Recipe

The Fudges General Store was just a few miles down the road from my grandparents.  With a name like that it would certainly get your attention if you had a sweet tooth even though Fudge was a family name and not a candy but we did stop in every time we drove by the store on the way home.  We often would get a Nehi drink and a Long Boy candy bar.  The candy bar was not just a sweet thing but it lasted a long long time.

Linda and Daddy got them all the time.  It took me a little longer to discover the Long Boys because I did not think I would like it but Linda made it look so good and finally I decided to try it.  She could make a candy bar last almost all the way home and mine was gone in a minute and I would sit and be jealous until her candy bar was gone.  Back then the candy bar was about 10 inches long or my memory says it was that long. 

 Once I tasted the candy I was convinced.

There are all kinds of candy bars but Long Boys are not easy to find.  Daddy did find some recently on some website but I have not seen them in any store since 1971 when I married.

Daddy found this recipe online and I have not made it but if it says it is  Coconut Long Boy Candy it must be good!

Here it is:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cups flaked sweetened coconut

In a saucepan heat sugar, cream, light corn syrup and salt over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
Add the butter and bring to a boil over a medium high heat. 
Using a candy thermometer boil until it reaches 248 degrees.  Remove from the heat and add vanilla and coconut stirring to combine.
Prepare a 10" square pan by lining with waxed paper.   Pour the candy into the pan and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.  Cut into 1 inch strips.
Roll each 1 " strip into a rope and cut into 3 pieces.
(Although, if my memory serves me correctly, the old Long Boy candy bars were flat and long.  I may have to make mine like that.)

I have not made this but am planning on doing so soon!  I could use an assistant!  
Any takers?!



1 comment: